| Bringing You The Latest From The World of Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts
Monday August 21st 2017
Follow Touchgloves on Twitter

Giovanni Lorenze quest for Middleweight crown begins Dec 18th

BLOOMFIELD, NJ (December 12, 2006) – On Dec 18 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, undefeated Dominican brawler Giovanni Lorenzo will compete for the first time since announcing that he is entering the middleweight fray, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. The Dec 18 bout against Jordan Sanchez (13-6, 8 KO’s) will take place on the Joan Guzman-Antonio Davis WBO Jr. Lightweight Championship fight card.

BLOOMFIELD, NJ (December 12, 2006) – On Dec 18 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, undefeated Dominican brawler Giovanni Lorenzo will compete for the first time since announcing that he is entering the middleweight fray, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. The Dec 18 bout against Jordan Sanchez (13-6, 8 KO’s) will take place on the Joan Guzman-Antonio Davis WBO Jr. Lightweight Championship fight card.

Lorenzo (21-0, 13 KO’s) has knocked out eight of his last nine opponents. The 26-year-old Washington Heights, NY resident by way of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic has grown into a middleweight since undergoing an intense strength and conditioning program under the tutelage of Seth Seidman. Lorenzo fought over 200 amateur bouts, compiling a dominating record of 231-15. He won 15 amateur tournaments and earned a spot on the 2000 Dominican Republic Olympic Team. In the 2000 Olympics he reached the second round of the tournament. Lorenzo has stopped his last three opponents. In his last bout on July 22, 2006, he blasted Byron Mackie (TKO 6).

Lorenzo would like to kick-off 2007 by battling “Irish” John Duddy—a brawler who has already expressed an interest in fighting Lorenzo: “We would accept a challenge against John and we wish him a speedy recovery from his injuries,” said Lorenzo’s manager Richard Ryan. “It would be an all action fight. Duddy is at the top of his game now and the winner would be in line for a title shot. This is a NY mega fight that would sell out MSG–the ‘Chico Malo’ Dominican against the fighting Irishman.”

Lorenzo has also expressed an interest in fighting a few other fighters in 2007:

Kelly Pavlick
WBA Middleweight Champion Mariano Carrera
Randy Griffin
Arthur Abraham
Ike Quartey
Recognized Middleweight Champion Jermain Taylor

“Giovanni has truly grown into a strong middleweight contender,” said Main Events VP Carl Moretti. “His strength was clearly evident earlier this year with very impressive knockout wins over Archak Ter-Meliksetian in March and Byron Mackie in July. I feel very confident in matching him in 07’ against any of the middleweights listed above.”

Share

No related posts.

Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.

Leave a Reply