New York City, NY (June 28th, 2007) – Boxing wouldn’t be the great sport that it is without the good, the bad, and the ugly. The past few years have had much more of the bad and ugly than the good, but boxing ambassador Teddy Atlas looks to change all that. Atlas and Duva Boxing will bring boxing back to Staten Island for the first time this Friday night since Sept 12, 1981. ESPN 2’s Friday Night Fights will televise the event airing 10pm at the St. George Theatre on Staten Island. Many people will ask the question, why should I go all the way to Staten Island to see a boxing match? Here are some of the reasons why you should attend if you live in the New York/New Jersey area, or should watch on ESPN 2:
* Getting to Staten Island isn’t as hard as one would assume. The short 20 minute free ferry ride is also a relaxing trip off of hectic on a Friday night in Manhattan.
* Teddy Atlas has been working with the Jets this off-season using boxing drills to help each player’s foot speed and hand technique. In Tuesday’s press conference Teddy promised many of the J-E-T-S jets jets jets would be in attendance and pumped for the fight.
* The Main Event puts the USBA CRUSIERWEIGHT TITLE on the line. Darnell Wilson v. Emmanuel Nwodo promises to be a slugfest!
* Staten Island’s very own, Nicky DeMarco (2-0, 2 KO’s) is bringing over 200 family and friends to the fight.
* 30% of the money from the event will go to a good cause with the Dr. Theodore Atlas Foundation.
* The St. George Theatre on Staten Island is an amazing venue for the fight. The double-decker seating at the theatre 1,700 capacity will promise the fans to be right on top of the action. With the ring set on the theatre stage, fans will be able to feel every punch in this extremely intimate setting.
Growing up Nicky DeMarco was always a great athlete in traditional sports. He flirted with boxing for fun, but never took it seriously. For the past three years, DeMarco has trained hard primarily boxer and the results are showing. Thus far the humble DeMarco is (2-0 2 KO’s) and looks for his third on Friday night. This is a special event for Nicky because he currently lives on Staten Island. Not many people get the chance to display themselves in front of over 200 family and friends. A win on Friday night will be Nicky’s coming out party and make him the water cooler talk of Staten Island. The pre fight prediction from DeMarco’s corner looks for a 1st or 2nd round KO. Make sure to get there early and see Nicky fight on the undercard in an unforgettable venue.
Teddy Atlas talked for a few minutes about the Dr. Theodore Atlas Foundation. Where many nonprofit organizations can help a lot of people, the majority use much of their money for administrative costs. The Dr. Theodore Atlas Foundation takes a different approach and uses all money to help others in a hands-on way. Teddy spoke of people that contact the foundation all over the country that have specific needs. There was one example of a woman who requested a wheelchair. For whatever reason, the woman’s insurance company would not pay for the chair, but it was much needed for her to get around. When the Atlas Foundation heard this they quickly paid her a visit and delivered the much needed wheelchair. The Atlas Foundation hand delivers these gifts for people that just need a little help all over the country. Again 30% of the money from the fight will go to the foundation. If you would like to contact them please do so at www.dratlasfoundation.com. See you all 8pm sharp Friday at the fight!
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.